Thursday, 6 October 2011

A Stranger in a Strange Land...

Aside from the image itself, inspiration for this blog came through attending Essence of Wild 'Barefoot Breathing' e-course - a course designed to awaken and engage with all that is sacred and natural within ourselves and our land.

Taking this into consideration it may seem to be a very odd picture to share on a forum dedicated to our beautiful planet earth and all its magical creatures. What can an image, clearly revealing extra-terrestrial life, possibly have to do with contemplation of our natural world?

PHONE HOME
There are no flowers, nothing even vaguely resembling a tree, no fairies and definitely no human beings.

And yet there is something. Something that leaves you in no doubt that, in spite the abundance of flying saucers and somewhat alien landscape, we are actually viewing our very own sacred planet.

The drawing was created some five or six years ago shortly after I began 'playing' with crayons. A friend suggested I  closed my eyes, used my non-dominant hand, and select the colours at random. After I'd finished I opened my eyes and continued 'doodling.' The finished 'vision' stunned me to silence. I was totally engrossed in the figure on the right who seemed to be so much a part of the earth, it was the earth - yet it also seemed to be in direct communication with all the 'alien ships.' It reminded me of E.T. (hence the title - Phone Home) and the whole scenario moved me to tears.


Now we come to its relevance to mother nature and the reasons why I am impelled to share it. At the time of its birth I was feeling particularly isolated and alone, a very familiar bed-fellow as all my life I have felt as an alien on a strange planet. The image instilled in me a sense of belonging, a knowing that all I had been searching for was, quite literally, all around me. My 'home' amongst the stars was actually, for the time being, right here on planet earth and my star family was right here beside me.


Now fast forward some five or six years to the present day. Shortly after beginning the e-course, the familiar bed-fellow climbed in beside me and once more I felt as a 'stranger in a strange land.' Even though I loved all the sharings, the stunning photography, and especially the daily 'nature love,' I nevertheless didn't feel that I belonged. This time, however, the bed-fellow felt different, it was now a treasured friend whom I welcomed with opened arms. It brought with it great gifts, igniting a way of being that, until now, has been too profound to express into words.


Nature, wildlife, animals (a lot easier to understand than human beings!) have been my succour and inspiration all my life, yet now I realise, they had also been my escape. They had been my retreat when life became too much and I just had to get away from it all. Meditation, my daily practise for well over a decade, also held its roots in the same soil. And here I was committed to a course that required a daily practise of meditating in nature! Quite a dilemma when held in the light of these revelations - and yet it wasn't, it was all quite natural and ordinary; very simple, nothing forced.


Quite spontaneously I became the figure on the right of the image, E.T., who is 'so much a part of the land, he is the land.' This I felt to the core of my being. The sun, the sky, the rivers, trees and flowers, all of these I felt - INSIDE. This understanding came alive as I watched the 'Sacred Circle' video, featuring Bear Heart. As he spoke I could feel the land, the rivers running through his veins, the sun shining through his words, and the deep respect he had for all life. And as the rivers ran through his veins, so they flowed through mine. I became the Sacred Circle of Life, all life, everywhere; as was he.


So, not a single barefoot breath have I taken, not a single commune with nature, nor have I felt the wind stir my hair or the rain caress my skin. I walk the land, as the land. Walking, breathing, smiling, celebrating and appreciating..... the wonderful sense of belonging I feel amongst this clan, this human race.

Alone he stands the star born
Isolation, loneliness companions of old
Too long has he walked these earthen pathways
Spirit ever seeking a path to return

Long ago forgotten the race of the stars
Grown over time great love for this earth
Now he remembers, he remembers his calling
Sends forth a cry to the land of his birth
Returning swift the clan from afar
Embrace their brother, igniting his Light
As wisdom of ages flows through his being
A bridge he becomes twixt earth and the stars

Earth finds knowing of star born
Stars know wisdom of earth
Path to return established
At home on this land of his birth


Addendum
'Phone Home' has featured in my personal contemplations at regular intervals during the past month. The latest turn of the spiral has seen its energy transform from that of 'Aloneness' to 'Community.' This is the sense of belonging it now instills should you wish to embrace it. Life carries with it many choices, with surprises around every corner, and it is through these choices that we create our reality. In this simple drawing is the potential for two (at least) diverse realities. Do you choose isolation or do you choose community; to BELONG? Know that you may also choose both - aloneness within community is, for me, ultimate belonging. It gives birth to the authentic Self; wherever I am, whoever I am with - I BELONG.

 
Finally, I would like to extend my profound appreciation to Essence of Wild, along with all of the 'barefoot clan,' without whom these revelations would not have seen the light of day - THANK YOU!


6 comments:

  1. Hey Barbara Rose

    I really appreciate this posting. It is interesting your questions on choosing isolation or community as this has been a challenge for me my entire life. I have not felt community anywhere but have actively sought it. Even joining the goddess guidebook I thought finally I would meet kindred souls to form community and I feel the same: an outsider. Maybe I am meant to be alone on my journey and must find the community in the aloneness, maybe in nature, animals, oneness and those souls that come in and out of my life. The e-cource you took sounds like sometime I would like to try next year. Solitude in nature always leaves me at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Lousiya
    good to hear from you and, yes i resonate with your journey - the feelings also came up for me in the goddess circle, as i really dont view myself as a goddess! however, the funny thing is i also feel quite at home there. i realise that if i take 'me' with me wherever i go and have no expectations (thats a biggy!!!)then it all just flows quite nicely and i can dip in and out sharing with whom resonates in each moment - just like you and I did/are!

    One thing i realise is we are all alone, no-one but us can walk our path, and the world would be lacking a beautiful expression of divinity if we werent just being who we are - there is remarkable unity in living this Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Barbara Rose. I like this

    i realise that if i take 'me' with me wherever i go and have no expectations (thats a biggy!!!)then it all just flows quite nicely and i can dip in and out sharing with whom resonates in each moment.

    I like that a lot. If I take "me" never thought about things that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a 'lightbulb moment' Louisya... congratulations :0))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Barbara

    There is so much here that I can't quite express. I love this image and what you've shared. My overriding sense is that being alone and being all one are, in essence, the same. Love Jackie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. spot on Jackie! that's it exactly... Truth is a paradox - wherever i go, whoever i am with, there I AM. thank you so much for your deep and intimate sharing both here and on essence of wild
    these really are quite remarkable and exciting times :)
    love barbara xxx

    ReplyDelete